Dryer Vent Safety: Avoid the Risks
Dryer vent safety can be improved through a cleaning done the Fresh Sweeps way. Our process will also help improve the efficiency of the dryer and its longevity. Few maintenance investments have the payback of this proven, affordable service for homeowners and residential property managers alike.
To schedule your professional cleaning that is designed to improve dryer vent safety, call us at 888-FRESH-SWEEPS or use our handy Online Scheduler. We look forward to demonstrating the remarkable cleaning power of our system and the professionalism of our staff.
Safety Comes First
With Fresh Sweeps, the comfort and safety of the home’s occupants is the first priority. Unfortunately, dryer vents are among those parts of a property that are frequently ignored by homeowners.
The problem is that operating a dryer produces flammable dust and lint as part of the clothes cleaning process. With an average of 250 drying cycles every year, the amount of material that is produced is significant. Some fabrics, including those used in softer blankets and clothing items, can release even more.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, nearly 1,000 of 2,900 home clothes dryer fires annually are caused simply by a failure to clean those dryers. Attached to these 15,600 structural fires are an estimated 15 deaths, 400 injuries, and $100 million in property damage.
Thankfully, a properly installed and functioning dryer vent that undergoes regular inspection, cleaning, and maintenance will greatly reduce the potential for those fires. On top of that, it improves the efficiency of the dryer itself. That’s because dryer efficiency comes from having an unobstructed hot air exhaust path.
That’s what Fresh Sweeps is offering – effective cleanings of both the appliance itself as well as the venting system attached to it. The cleaning process takes a combination of the right equipment as well as the skill of our trained technicians. Once we’ve completed an appointment, you can count on a cleaner and safer dryer vent system.
Start Safe – and Keep It That Way
The U.S. Fire Administration is on a mission to help consumers and professionals to fight life- and property-threatening fires across the country. To that end, they have shared these recommendations that can help improve home and dryer vent safety.
Clothes Dryer Do’s
- Have your clothes dryer installed by a professional.
- Make sure the correct electrical plug and outlet are used and that the dryer is connected properly.
- Read manufacturers’ instructions and warnings in use and care manuals that come with new dryers.
- Clean the lint filter before and after each load of laundry. Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up. In addition, clean the lint filter with a nylon brush at least every six months or more often if it becomes clogged.
- Clean lint out of the vent pipe every three months.
- Have your dryer cleaned regularly by a professional, especially if it is taking longer than normal for clothes to dry.
- Inspect the venting system behind the dryer to ensure it is not damaged or restricted.
- Put a covering on outside wall dampers to keep out rain, snow and dirt.
- Make sure the outdoor vent covering opens when the dryer is on.
- Replace coiled-wire foil or plastic venting with rigid, non-ribbed metal duct.
- Have gas-powered dryers inspected every year by a professional to ensure that the gas line and connection are together and free of leaks.
- Check regularly to make sure nests of small animals and insects are not blocking the outside vent.
- Keep the area around the clothes dryer free of items that can burn.
- If you will be away from home for an extended time, unplug or disconnect the dryer.
No Reason To Wait!
Call 888-FRESH-SWEEPS or USE OUR ONLINE SCHEDULER to help make your dryer vent system safer and more efficient with a service call from Fresh Sweeps.